Elevating Product Sales in a Priority Region
Part of the Utz Quality Foods family of snack brands, Boulder Canyon is known for its line of kettle-cooked potato chips that are made with simple ingredients and unique oils. Founded near the Flatiron Mountains of Colorado, Boulder Canyon was among the first “better-for-you” snack chips.
In its 20th anniversary year, Boulder Canyon sought to shore up its retail commitments in heritage markets that are increasingly saturated with new and “smart” snack food brands. To bolster sales, we developed an integrated marketing campaign in the Greater Denver region that trumpeted new packaging and local roots.
Over a three-month period, we focused on a high-frequency program built to inspire locals to reach for Boulder Canyon. This included:
- A pay-per-click (PPC) advertising campaign using a high-value coupon
- Social media ads that directed consumers to the same coupon microsite where they could choose a quick screen capture of the UPC code or download it via email
- Partnerships with five regional retailers to include their store logos and URL store locators in social media creative
- Collaborations with an influencer group called the Boulder Hiker Chicks, who captured and shared incredible images from the trails with chips in hand
- Regional media relations outreach to share about the brand’s anniversary across broadcast and print outlets
The response to Boulder Canyon’s return-to-roots campaign was dramatic with:
- A 40% increase in same store sales over the course of 90 days
- Nearly 25,000 people in the region visited Lambert’s coupon page for Boulder Canyon
- 1,715 product coupons redeemed
- The program provided a 5X multiple on the spend (program cost vs. net sales increase)