Perrigo is a top five global healthcare supplier that develops, manufactures and distributes over-the-counter (OTC) and generic prescription (Rx) pharmaceuticals, infant formulas, nutritional products, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API), and medical diagnostic products. The company is the world’s largest manufacturer of OTC products for the store brand market and provides “Quality Affordable Healthcare Products®” across a wide variety of product categories and geographies.
Lambert has worked with Perrigo on a number of initiatives to increase awareness of “store-brand” products. As one of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world and the largest manufacturer of store-brand over-the-counter medicines for the nation’s leading retailers, grocers, club stores and pharmacy chains, Perrigo had broad distribution, but limited awareness and no efforts in place to grow the store-brand category.
One of Lambert’s charges was to raise awareness about the quality and savings store-brands can provide. When patients visit their favorite store, they have a choice to make: buy the national brand or select the store-brand alternative. Lambert discovered that:
1. consumers were not always aware of the quality and savings provided by store-brand products, and
2. this education and ultimate purchase decision was heavily influenced by the patient’s doctor who served as a vital link in the continuum of care for the patient.
- Lambert targeted experts in each category or medical community – from allergists to gastroenterologists – and educated them on the store-brand difference
- This effort spanned direct communications, trade shows and continued outreach to connect with the industry experts
- Ultimately let to inviting them to Perrigo’s facility to show how store-brand products are manufactured
- MAT releases: Lambert drafted articles sourcing expert physicians supporting store-brand OTC medications resulting in an ad value of more than $3.8 million
- Medical expert engagement: Lambert facilitated relationships between Perrigo and nationally renowned experts in each pharmaceutical field, including pediatrics, diabetes, allergy and GI
- Successfully developed individualized programs to involve these doctors in educational speaking opportunities and money-saving programs
- Digital media: Lambert developed several social applications for Perrigo’s retail partners and also created the Perrigo Parent Network, a network of mom bloggers acting as an online interactive advisory council to inform Perrigo’s messaging to parents
- Increased consumer confidence in store-brand products